Blog Archive

Monday, November 1, 2021

Benjamin Peret

Varo 



Falling Bodies
I have one hair in my head 
There aren't so many in the carafe 
I have a fly in my nose 
there are two in the calash 
Turn turn the wheel 
to hoist the beggars atop the chimneys 
The women will watch it 
The children will kill it 
Turn turn the wheel 
to carve up the Saint-Cyrians 
their flesh will make bait for Newfoundland's fish 
and it'll be an unlucky year 
I shook an idiot's hand 
and a forget-me-not grew in my hand 
and that's why it's as hot as the inside of a gas pipe 
that swallows pass into but never emerge from 
for fear of being turned into incandescent burners 
Whether the lines on the floor zigzag drunk 
or whether the ladders collapse under those that brave them 
the noise from the street will clunk like a convict's sack 
and desolate passersby will clap their hands over their ears 
and their pregnant wives' hysterics 
will throw the hotel rooms' tables off balance


No comments:

Post a Comment

  The poet Susan Howe, 77, at right, and her daughter, the painter R. H. Quaytman, 53, in Quaytman’s house, designed by the American sculpto...