Blog Archive

Friday, November 5, 2021

William Burroughs by Andrew O'Hagan

 

William S. Burroughs

The Dark Dreams of William Burroughs

Cut to Kansas, where the air conditioning was broken at the Hampton Inn and where I was almost relieved to hear the telephone ringing in the early hours. I went down to the lobby to hear from Burroughs’s friend and manager, James Grauerholz, that the novelist had died in the hospital the previous evening at 6:30. Grauerholz suggested that we come the next day and film at the house. “Bill loved the BBC,” he said. The whole thing passed like a Burroughs routine, we were dazed, and I took some flowers the next afternoon to 1927 Learnard Avenue, a red-painted bungalow with four steps up to a porch with a white fence around it.

There was a strange humming. The crew hung back in the car as I walked up to the screen door and peeked through. I thought I saw the singer Patti Smith and I definitely saw the poet John Giorno (the guy asleep in Warhol’s film Sleep). They were sitting in a circle and there were other men including Grauerholz, who soon came to the door. As he opened it, what seemed like a dozen cats shot out of the house. He told me the friends were performing a Buddhist chant to send Burroughs’s spirit up. I declined to join when he asked me, but seeing that the bowls on the porch were empty and licked clean, I said I might feed the cats. “Oh, man,” said Grauerholz, “that is soZen.”



No comments:

Post a Comment

  The poet Susan Howe, 77, at right, and her daughter, the painter R. H. Quaytman, 53, in Quaytman’s house, designed by the American sculpto...