Blog Archive

Saturday, November 6, 2021

Rae Armantrout

 

Photo By Rosanne Olson Bwsmall Body


Control

We are learning to control our thoughts,
to set obtrusive thoughts aside.

It takes an American
to do really big things.

Often I have no thoughts to push against.

It's lonely in a song
about outer space.

When I don't have any thoughts,
I want one!

A close-up reveals
that she has chosen

a plastic soap dish
in the shape of a giant sea turtle.

Can a thought truly be mine
if I am not currently thinking it?

There are two sides
to any argument;

one arm
in each sleeve.

           •

Maybe I am always meditating,
if by that you mean

searching for a perfect
stranger.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment

  The poet Susan Howe, 77, at right, and her daughter, the painter R. H. Quaytman, 53, in Quaytman’s house, designed by the American sculpto...