Blog Archive

Thursday, November 11, 2021

Cesar Vallejo

 









César Vallejo sigue siendo fuente de inspiración y análisis intelectual.





Blackstone on Whitestone


I will die in Paris on a rainy day,

on a day I can already remember.

I will die in Paris -- and I don't mind -- 

perhaps on a Thursday in autumn, like today.

It will be a Thursday, because today, Thursday, 

as I write

these lines, the bones in my arm ache badly,

and never before, in all my road, have I felt

myself as lonely as I do today.

Cesar Vallejo is dead, everyone kept hitting him,

even though he had done nothing to them.

They hit him hard with a stick, and hard

also with a rope; his witnesses

are the Thursday and the bones of his arms,

the loneliness, the rains, the roads . . .


Translated by Robert Hass


This is doing it the easy way. I ignored the rhymes. I mostly ignored the 12-syllable line. I ignored the grammatical strangenesses, and just tried to find a clear way through the main line of the poem, letting the timing of the phrasings in the stanzas, and the imagery, and the intense melancholy carry it. But I know I did not get Vallejo's poem. Perhaps you will try.

No comments:

Post a Comment

  The poet Susan Howe, 77, at right, and her daughter, the painter R. H. Quaytman, 53, in Quaytman’s house, designed by the American sculpto...