Blog Archive

Monday, October 4, 2021

Langston Hughes

Douglas%20-%20The%20Negro%20Speaks%20of%20Rivers%201941CROP
Aaron Douglas, “The Negro Speaks of Rivers (For Langston Hughes)”


The Negro Speaks Of Rivers


 I've known rivers: 

I've known rivers ancient as the world and older than the 
flow of human blood in human veins. 

My soul has grown deep like the rivers. 

I bathed in the Euphrates when dawns were young. 
I built my hut near the Congo and it lulled me to sleep. 
I looked upon the Nile and raised the pyramids above it. 
I heard the singing of the Mississippi when Abe Lincoln 

went down to New Orleans, and I've seen its muddy 
bosom turn all golden in the sunset. 

I've known rivers: 
Ancient, dusky rivers. 

My soul has grown deep like the rivers.


No comments:

Post a Comment

  The poet Susan Howe, 77, at right, and her daughter, the painter R. H. Quaytman, 53, in Quaytman’s house, designed by the American sculpto...