Blog Archive

Tuesday, October 26, 2021

Cedar Sigo


Cedar Sigo


BLUE MOON

    (Three takes on Alfred Starr Hamilton)

For I pulled my blue coat over my subway sleeve

I had to leave to let the cat out

I had just enough change to ride it to the end

The lines corresponded to the rainbow bolted map

I was nearly shot. The same vampires casting about underground

The country folk had caught up with my manner of hearing

Such resonant shapes meant danger

The golden poem is a flower dropped on its head

Broken open bleeding in a pool

And through death we incite further poets

We nail the old bottles to the wooden box

 

*

Aren’t we all dying to vacation?

Aren’t we all mad from wasted money?

Aren’t we all scribbling into invisible lockets?

Aren’t we all trying to form the perfect search?

Don’t we wish to be left alone in a workroom?

Aren’t we all waiting for the cake to cool until it’s iced?

 

*

A brown rooming house withered

Kept up all night

With frozen flickering lights

   

  

No comments:

Post a Comment

  The poet Susan Howe, 77, at right, and her daughter, the painter R. H. Quaytman, 53, in Quaytman’s house, designed by the American sculpto...