Blog Archive

Wednesday, September 29, 2021

Cedar Sigo 2

 

Now I'm a Woman

When you hear the knives ring
Turn the page.
I wonder why I am not
Myself of late, ridiculous glass edges
Turn back on themselves
And soon reveal
The hand of an apprentice
And godforsaken embarrassing torch,
Stormy back hallways
Out of the black and wooden theatres.
Crystal Waters plus her driver
Plus her entourage is still rolling out
Of the Sands, Atlantic City
On the soundtracks to shows
Held over at The Fairmount
She is throwing back shots
With the mafia. I have learned
To take apart this American Songbook
And very fortunately as I would take
My audience in confidence
Threads of gold fall closely together
Coming to break us off.
At the first of the shows
I sang this song
And in between I saw him in the hall,
What could I tell you?
“Someday we’ll build on a hilltop high.”
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

  The poet Susan Howe, 77, at right, and her daughter, the painter R. H. Quaytman, 53, in Quaytman’s house, designed by the American sculpto...